I’ve recently been feeling a need to put a little more time and effort into my relationship with my husband. We’ve fallen into a pretty uneventful evening routine. Between getting dinner ready and having a family meal, giving our daughter a bath, and getting her ready for bed, we find ourselves exhausted and oftentimes bored at the end of the night. It’s so easy to get used to the daily grind, and before you know it you can find yourselves in a slump. Although my husband and I have made an effort to go out at least once a month for a date night, I think that the best way to sustain a long term relationship lies in the everyday moments. So, I’ve decided to shake up our nightly routine by introducing some at home date nights. I thought I’d share my ideas in case some of you are looking to switch things up a little bit too.
1) Indoor picnic – Put a blanket down on the floor, make your favorite sandwiches, snacks, and drinks, light some candles, and have a picnic right in your living room. If the weather is warm enough, you can also move the picnic outside to your backyard!
2) The newlywed game – Ask each other questions to test your knowledge on how well you know each other! You can do a quick google search to help come up with the questions, or just make them up yourself. Here are a few to get you started: Where was our second date? What do I think is your most annoying habit? What’s my favorite thing about you? What is my dream destination? What was our best vacation together? What makes me happiest? Take turns asking each other these questions and see who knows each other better!
3) Video game night – Have a video game tournament playing your or your partner’s favorite games, or try some old school games like Super Mario Brothers or Sonic.
4) Beer tasting – Set up a few seasonal beers, make some homemade pretzels, and set up your own private beer tasting. Try something different and see if you can find some new favorites.
5) Puzzle night – Buy a jigsaw puzzle and spend time with each other while you work on it. This might sound a little boring, but my husband and I did this when we first started dating, and some of my favorite memories from that time are working on a puzzle of the NYC skyline while watching the show The Office.
6) Strip Scrabble (or other board game) – This one is a little risqué lol, but can be a fun way to liven things up. Play the board game the same way you normally would, except with the twist that whenever one person is ahead, the other needs to take off an article of clothing.
7) Dance party – Start a dance party right in your living room. Dim the lights, put on your dancing shoes, and dance to your favorite songs. It’s also fun to make a playlist of songs from when you first started dating. Think of the songs that immediately remind you of the start of your relationship. My relationship started when the “Apple Bottom Jeans” song was super popular, and whenever I hear it, it always reminds me of our first date, so that would be #1 on my playlist. Ha!
8) Spa night – Light some candles, play some relaxing music, use face masks, get some massage oils, and give each other massages.
What do you think of these date night ideas? Do they sound silly to you? I know some of them might sound a little cheesy, but they can be a good way to break you out of your routine and have some fun new experiences together! Do you have other ideas for great at home date nights? Let me know in the comments below!
Wishing you a week of fun + love.